I went to see the latest Star Wars movie last night. For the first time in a long time, I’m early to the party. That means I can write about it here and give my opinion. No spoilers here, though. Just some random thoughts on the movie.
Things I Liked
- Fun story: I thought the backstory of Han Solo, the Millenium Falcon, Chewbacca, Lando, etc, was just really fun. It had enough references to the Star Wars Episodes to be fun, but I don’t feel like you needed to know too much about Star Wars to appreciate this movie.
- Chewbacca and Han: There’s just something fun about the development of this relationship. I loved the story of how they met, the bond they form, and how they stick together. Friendship!
- New Actors: Alden Ehrenreich does a great job portraying many of the intricacies of Han Solo. His character was well-known and developed already, and I think he does a great job bringing a young Han to the screen.
Things I Didn’t Like
- Woody Harrelson: I think he did a good job in the role, but I wish they would have let his character be someone we don’t know as someone else. I can’t see Woody Harrelson without thinking of White Men Can’t Jump or any other movie he’s done. He’s a good actor, but it’s a little weird to see him in a Star Wars movie.
- Scenes that Drag On: Maybe I’m old, but some of the scenes felt like they dragged on for too long. I guess two hours and fifteen minutes isn’t long for movies nowadays, but I think some of the action in Solo could have been cut into shorter scenes.
So far, the movie is getting mixed reviews. I thought it was worth watching, and I’m glad I went. I’ll be taking my kids to see it soon as well.