Throughout my years of working with young people, one of the most often discussed questions is, “How to find god’s will for my life.”
Many middle school, high school, and college students who desire to follow God’s word are seeking God’s guidance for their lives, and they are usually asking those around them how to find it out to find God’s plan. Unfortunately, we adults can’t often help young people understand God’s will because we struggle with it ourselves. There are a lot of questions that come to mind the more you walk through life. In good times and difficult times, going to God’s Word is the first step to find the peace of God that passes all understanding.
So in this brief blog post, I want us to focus on God’s guidance in the Bible to find out what it says about God’s will for His people. I want to do more than just give you a list of verses because I really want to help you find the will of the lord for you as a child of god. So let’s take a look at these scripture references together and see what they say about God’s will. See the verses below (italicized) and my commentary on them.
Encouraging Bible Verses about God’s Will
God’s purposes stand forever. Proverbs 33:11 says, “But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.” – something that this verse tells me is that God is working throughout all generations. The spirit of God is working in the world whether I think He is or not. It might be a little thing to recognize, but as you seek God’s will, you can be confident that His purpose will stand forever (even in hard times).
Those who do God’s will live forever.
1 John 2:15-16 Do not love the world or anything in the world.If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
Doing God’s will is important. It is directly opposed to the love of the world. Love God more than the world. Seek Him because He is eternal.
God’s Will is that He be glorified.
1 Peter 2:13-15 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men (King James Version).
In submitting to others, God will be praised, which is His will and results in silencing ignorance and foolishness.
Bible Verses to Help You Find the Will of God
Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of god, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Be willing to give God yourself. Worship Him with all of your life. Avoid this world’s patterns and allow Him to transform your mind (by the renewal of your mind). As you get closer to His mind, you will know what is His will.
Proverbs 3:5-6 says: Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
Don’t trust only your own understanding. Seek after God’s will (which is why you’re on this post, right?). He is faithful to show you His will.
Proverbs 15:22 tells us: For lack of counsel plans fail, but with many advisors they succeed.
Ask trusted people (who are also seeking God’s will) for advice, especially when you think you may have an idea of what you should do (See below).
Bible Verses to Help You Do the Will of God
Hebrews 13:20-21 – Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
God will equip you to do His will.
Psalm 90:17 – May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us– yes, establish the work of our hands.
God will point you in the right direction and establish the work of your hands.
Practical Steps to Find the Will of God
- Walk in His Ways. The best ways to actually find the will of God for the unknown parts of your life is to follow Him in the known parts of your life. What I mean by that is taking one step of obedience (by obeying the Bible) and then taking the next step as God shows it to you. You and I don’t have to have it all figured out, but a Biblical principle is that we need to be obedient in the little things in order to be able to obey in the bigger things.
- Pray. You don’t have to have it all figured out, but praying is a good first step. A simple prayer to pray is, “O Lord, what do you want me to do.” I made a video about this prayer that I believe will change your life.
- Ask counsel. Those Christians around you will help guide you into the truth. Ask church leaders, mentors, and those around you to help you find the right thing to do. God has given us a community of believers to help us when we don’t know what to do.
- Present yourself to Him and allow Him to transform your mind.
- Seek Him. Call on the name of the lord. He will show you his good purpose for your life. Seek Him and his Kingdom (like it says in Matthew 6:33 – Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you).
I hope these verses help you and your kids as you seek God’s will for your life.