As I thought more about successful youth ministries, and I put together a list of characteristics of a successful youth ministry. Here’s my list.
What are your thoughts? What would you add?
25 Characteristics of a Successful Youth Ministry
A successful youth ministry…
- Involves parents and meaningful adults.
- Provides a safe place for spiritual questioning and discussion.
- Challenges students and their faith.
- Helps students discover their gifts.
- Allows opportunities for students to use their gifts and talents.
- Always places people ahead of programs.
- Helps hurting young people.
- Helps hurting families.
- Comes alongside parents in their responsibility to spiritually nurture their children.
- Accepts all kinds of students.
- Provides opportunities for students to serve the community.
- Creates a support structure that is there long after graduation.
- Has leaders who are held accountable for their own spiritual growth.
- Connects young people to the larger church body.
- Teaches Biblical Truth.
- Encourages students to study the Bible on their own.
- Helps students develop their personal prayer life.
- Teaches students how to discern right from wrong.
- Communicates Biblical truth clearly.
- Encourages and equips students to share their faith with those around them.
- Relies on the gifts and talents of more than one person.
- Seeks to honor Jesus in all it does.
- Persists even when people turn away (without being pushy).
- Gives students opportunities to lead and equips them to do so.
- Brings students into true worship.
Add your characteristics of successful youth ministry in the comments. I’d love to hear your thoughts.